Friday, August 16, 2013

PICC Line Insertion Procedure

 This post is to show the complete process.

Like I have said in many other posts, I have chosen to create this blog not only for cathartic reasons, to reach out to those out there who can find a place to find comfort through relating, BUT it is also to show AWARENESS of the day to day things we lymies have to endure.

My last post I spoke about having to switch my PICC line from my left arm to my right arm due to a bad skin reaction to the dressing/coverage.

I remember when I first found out I had to start IV and waiting for the line to be inserted I had so many questions about the procedure.  I spent hours online looking for how it was done, but all I could find was just the definition of what a PICC line is and what it is for.

 Today a nurse came to remove the temporary peripheral line and insert my new PICC line.

I have chosen to document the procedure this time for those who are curious, just like I was, and maybe put you at ease.

PICC Line Insertion Procedure

Removal of the peripheral line, while the lidocaine cream is numbing the vein area where the PICC line will be inserted.
Peripheral line removed and PICC insertion about to begin.
Sterilizing the insertion area.
Getting my vein ready for insertion.
My nurse getting the PICC line and the vessel to insert it in my vein ready.
Insertion of the vessel (only part of the procedure that's a bit painful)

 
My nurse getting a hold of the PICC line before inserting it through my vein.

The line is halfway up!
Line is in!
Holding down the insertion area while cleansing the line with saline.
The vessel has been removed and now just remains the line.
Nurse just about to clean the area.
Cleaned and Inserted.
Putting the tape with the attachment that holds the line in place. 
 Everythings in place!
My nurse putting my new Ultra sensitive dressing/coverage!

Completion!
 
I am now feeling many emotions, it's amazing how this disease can mess with your head, I'm happy that the procedure is over but I'm overcome with the feeling that tears are about to fall and I don't know why.  This has been an anxiety ridden, emotional day, BUT from the very wise words of my Aunt Maureen,

"There are No two days alike. Thank g-d especially when issues surfaces without warning!"
 
So I leave you with this quote which sums me up at the moment.
and thats the truth!





Blessing to All!!




No comments:

Post a Comment